1. Making stuff. Any stuff.
2. The feeling I have after I’ve pressed a button but before the thing that’s supposed to happen when I press the button, happens.
3. Beaches. Big, empty, sprawling beaches. (Horses in the distance are acceptable, as is one other person walking a dog.)
4. The first mouthful of a really good coffee, or glass of wine, or ice cream.
5. The way, in spring, things grow really, really fast. One morning, a patch of scrub, the next a host of crocii. That.
6. Going to sleep when I am really, really tired, and knowing that the sleep will be good before it starts.
7. The smell of a room with books in it.
8. Colouring in, doing a jigsaw, or taking a walk, with a child.
9. Getting something interesting in the post.
10. Playing with words. Sometimes the fun is in making them behave, sometimes the joy is in letting them do me over.