1. Making stuff. Any stuff.
2. The feeling I have after I’ve pressed a button but before the thing that’s supposed to happen when I press the button, happens.
3. Beaches. Big, empty, sprawling beaches. (Horses in the distance are acceptable, as is one other person walking a dog.)
4. The first mouthful of a really good coffee, or glass of wine, or ice cream.
5. The way, in spring, things grow really, really fast. One morning, a patch of scrub, the next a host of crocii. That.
6. Going to sleep when I am really, really tired, and knowing that the sleep will be good before it starts.
7. The smell of a room with books in it.
8. Colouring in, doing a jigsaw, or taking a walk, with a child.
9. Getting something interesting in the post.
10. Playing with words. Sometimes the fun is in making them behave, sometimes the joy is in letting them do me over.
Ooh I agree with lots of those things! Just done #2. Been putting it off for ages and feel better now-I think
I love your list. Mine would be similar I think. To ‘the smell of a room with books in it’ I would add ‘especially if it has wooden floors’! Oh and a log fire (not necessarily burning at the time – residual smoky smell is fine). Have you been to Northumberland? The beaches are just as you describe – amazing.
Joanna, I live in Northumberland! The beach at Druridge Bay is my second home.
Oh how embarrassing! But at least it explains why your description immediately put me in mind of the place!